OUR TEAM EXPERIENCE
Leads Ward and Smith P. A.’s Securities group and leads its Fintech group, which includes both a Crowdfunding team and a Blockchain/COINS team. We are also leaders of the Raleigh Blockchain Working Group of E4 Carolinas a networking group for new energy businesses.
Represented Venture Capital Funds, public and private portfolio companies and other growth businesses in financing, M & A, licensing and other transaction across a wide range of industries, including technology and bio-science. Played a critical role in the passage of North Carolina’s intrastate crowdfunding exemption (NC PACES) and building a state-wide on-line capital raising ecosystem
Written multiple books about finance and growing technology businesses, including:
Crowdfunding: A Legal Guide to Investment and Platform Regulation (Thomson Reuters)
Crowdfunding Opportunities and Challenges (Lulu) https://www.amazon.com/Crowdfunding-Opportunities-Challenges-Jim-Verdonik/dp/1483442802
Both books analyze through the prism of Crowdfunding business practices and technology the impact of the JOBS Act on the venture capital industry and traditional securities laws, including the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, the Investment Company Act of 1940 and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940.
- Conducted a series of Crowdfunding webinars for Thompson Reuters, which calls itself the “Answer Company.” Jim and Benji are Thomson Reuter’s answer people for Crowdfunding issues.
- Write a nationally distributed newspaper column about business, technology and legal issues for the American Business Journals www.bizjournals.com that reaches more than four million readers through local business publications in more than forty cities across the U. S.
- Blog called Entrepreneur Intersection http://jimverdonikintersection.blogspot.com/2013/03/technology-law-wild-fun-ride.html
- YouTube Channel (Listen to story about how Mom taught how to negotiate): https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEyL-gjb9p8yqMcjg4lsrt8r69XYcSU7
- Regularly speak and write on Fintech, Blockchain/COINS, Crowdfunding, the JOBS Act, and related matters at continuing legal education courses and business and economic development groups.